Monday, October 15, 2012

The Pacifier

Remember when I said my baby wasn't fussy? Well she has started to have her moments. The other day she was up pretty much all day crying. She would pass out for fifteen to twenty minutes here and there, but then she'd wake back up crying her lungs out. I had no idea what to do. She kept giving me the hungry signs but I had just fed her. My doctor explained to me that babies this young see the answer to all their problems as eating. I did try giving her a pacifier. I tried a few different kinds, but she would just keep spewing them out. I was so thankful when Andy came home from work to help me out. Thank heavens! The night continued with a crying baby. We decided it was time to see if she'll go down for the night, so we went through our nighttime routine of bathing, changing, and feeding. As we were changing her into her pjs I found the pacifier that they give you at the hospital. I hate this pacifier. It is just so ugly which is why I chose to go with different ones. I even bought the exact same pacifier but it has a different shape then the huge green top. What the heck, at this point I didn't care that it was ugly I tried it. Can you believe it, the girl took it and calmed right down. Andy and I before this point didn't know how we felt about pacifiers...we are now totally on board. I've come around to the ugly green pacifier. I'd rather her happy and comforted then screaming her eyes out. We still aren't a hundred percent sure on why Izzie was so fussy but we have a feeling she had extreme gas. I'm trying to keep her on an upright angle when eating and Andy and I both learned how to message a baby's belly to improve digestion. So far she has been so much happier. 


This is Izzie after her crying day. Good work daddy!

My baby is also a cuddler. Which I love, but it sure is hard to get things done around the house, run errands  or even shower when your baby just wants to be held. I think she's funny because at night I'll finish feeding and burping her and then I'll wrap her up in a blanket and just hold her until she drifts off. Every now and then when I shift or when I get ready to get up to put her in her crib she will opens her eyes enough to see that mommy is still holding her and then she passes right out again. Yeah, it takes about an hour to feed her and get her to go back in her crib. This is long considering she only eats for five minutes. Its also hard on me since she wakes up pretty much every three hours to eat, but I'm up for one of the hours. So I pretty much get two hours of sleep in between feedings. My hope is that she will not wake up to eat at night and that putting her back to sleep with go faster. If you have any advice on this subject let me know keep in mind that she's just a little over 2 weeks old.

Today I'm just trying to figure out how moms shower, do their hair, put make-up on, clean the house, run errands, and cook dinner. It seems impossible to do these things without Andy here all the time.
I just love this picture so I thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Shanna Payne said...

ah! I love reading your posts! She is such a doll. Glad the green passy worked!